Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Things are not always as they seem




This should be an easy theme to talk about. For starters I have this great example, the time I have on my hands currently. It could be seen as something useful, a chance to be productive or even to simple hang out with friends but it actually is giving me the most painful headaches I’ve ever experience. Don’t ask me why but this free time is making me feel quite bad because I don’t have anyone to spend it with.
I mean I have friends but they are quite far right now. You might wonder if I don’t have any friends who live near enough to be with me on a somewhat daily basis, I know I wonder about this myself, and the truth is, no, I don’t have those friends, not anymore. And why? Because they saw things through their perspective, didn’t bother to ask for mine and now I turned out to be this mean and heartless bitch (which is not entirely truth) with whom they do not wish to be. Little they know about each other and the things some of them are capable of doing to one another but I won’t be the one to say it, they’ll see things clearly once they taste and feel the poison.

Changing subjects but sticking with the false appearances theme I now state that I shouldn’t be asked any questions about something I see if it’s not close to me, I’ve recently discovered that my eye sight is really bad and could get me into trouble. Explanation: even though technically my myopia isn’t that bad (only 0.75), when combined with my fertile imagination it imagines faces that aren’t actually real, well, they exist but not in that particular individual. Case in point, Rob J. Coombes, member of Supergrass, a great band that I had the chance to watch play live at Paredes de Coura Festival. No offense to the gentleman but he is not the prettiest of men, as a matter of fact I find him kinda... Well, let’s just be honest, he’s kinda ugly. The thing is, I only found out he is ugly after research on Google as I was convinced he was this sexy, not gorgeous but definitely attractive guy throughout the whole gig, I even confessed this to some friends as I couldn’t get my eyes off the guy. You can only imagine my embarrassment and disappointment when I found out he was ugly but I’ve now realized what made me see him as someone he is not. He’s got attitude and that always gets me. He walked on stage smoking his cigarette, he played while doing it, you could see he was having a great time and the hair didn’t hurt either. This and the fact that it was night time thus dark and that I was picturing him with the face of I guy I know who’s just really sweet and fitted the profile when it comes to the hair and smoking makes it all perfectly explained.

For the grand finale I’ve reserved the greatest and most complicated of example, feelings. Have I ever mentioned how I hate feelings sometimes? I mean, I absolutely love to feel but those bastards that emotions are always end up getting the best of me. There are those times in which you are not feeling anything noble and someone comes along, completely misunderstands what you’re going after, gets to thinks you feel something you don’t and you get stuck with a relationship that’s based on a misunderstanding. It’s completely obvious how badly that’s bound to end. Then there are some people how are completely incapable of understanding something you make perfectly clear. It feels like you asked for a chocolate ice-cream and you end up getting a strawberry one, which you’re allergic to. Sometimes the guys who you ask the ice-cream to just seem to be completely stupid or incapable of simply “reading” or observing. This rarely happens amongst women as we as complex individuals are capable of getting the picture just by looking at it for 5 seconds. Nevertheless, my favourites are those feelings you never give away, the ones that make you turn your face because you feel you’re about to cry or that make you not say a word because you’re afraid you won’t choose the right one or even those that make it impossible for you to look into someone’s eyes because you’re convinced that one look will give you away. Everyone has felt like this at least once and if not they will someday. Why are these my favourites? I guess that because they are secret, they are the ones that mean the most to the person who feels them, they are also the ones that can be the most misunderstood: it’s easy to mistake the anger that comes from repressed jealousy with utter hate for someone. Also, as someone who has become unaccustomed to expressing feelings, I guess these are the ones I’m stuck with most of the time. =)


So the message is: when it comes to pretty much everything in your life, even if you think you’re seeing things clearly, the best it’s to always take a second or perhaps even a third look.


P.S.: I just found out that Rob Coombes wasn’t the guy I was looking at, it was Charly Coombes and as a matter of fact he is pretty acceptable, cute and sexy. I am my happy self again! =D

3 comments:

Carla said...

"Nevertheless, my favourites are those feelings you never give away, the ones that make you turn your face because you feel you’re about to cry or that make you not say a word because you’re afraid you won’t choose the right one or even those that make it impossible for you to look into someone’s eyes because you’re convinced that one look will give you away."

Eu diria que tu andas a viver a minha vida, desde há uns meses para cá.

Ana Isabel said...

Não, eu não escondo sentimentos agora, torno-os mesmo obvios e depois lido com as consequencias... É mais facil, esta parte foi o que fiz ate ha bem pouco tempo! =)

Anonymous said...

Life's a bitch... But you're an even bigger one, so you'll survive xD

Concordo plenamente cm a atitude de n esconder nada. Apenas depois de perder o medo podemos ultrapassar os nossos limites.

Keep it up!